Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Graphic Design in Japan

A selection of graphic design that I've encountered while I was in Japan during the summer:

 

Design is literally everywhere in Tokyo; in fact it is overwhelmed with colors, information, and design. I've never been to anywhere as stimulating as Tokyo. Love it or loath it; it's very fascinating nonetheless. The amount of events, exhibitions, talks, and parties that happen within Tokyo is simply crazy.
I also liked how people are now incorporating Japanese flag/red circle into their designs. For political and historical reasons, Japanese flag was never used so casually in daily basis, in comparison to say American one or Union Jack. But after the earthquake, people tend to use it in quite a casual and fashionable way to convey messages, which is nice to see.

Whatever design discipline you are practicing, every designer must go to Japan for a field trip. I've been to few Asian cities, American cities, and quite many European cities but Tokyo is still distinctive in terms of its design approach. Of course I am biased but being Japanese myself and I still get surprised during every visit there.


東京のグラフィックデザイン。
スタイルは好みの問題だけれど、レベルの高さは否定できない。素敵なデザインがあちこちで見つかる。どうしようもないくらい、我慢出来ないくらい「ダメ」なデザインも、なぜかそれはそれで面白くていっか。と思えるような。思えないような。
そんな混沌さが東京の魅力。それが、好きか嫌いかは人それぞれ。