Thursday, August 9, 2012

Bauhaus: Art as Life at Barbican Art Gallery

Last few days remaining for Bauhaus exhibition at Barbican Art Gallery, so I rushed to pay it a visit.
I've been to bauhaus-archiv museum in Berlin. That probably was my first encounter with Bauhaus and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was the most memorable part of that museum, I've always associated Bauhaus with Mies. This time around I learnt that Mies in fact taught there only for about 2 years and Gropius was the one who founded the school...

I'm still puzzled about Bauhaus because the teachers seem to be more famous than the students. People who are associated with Bauhaus (likes of Gropius, Hannes Meyer, Mies van der Rohe, Kandinsky, Mondrian, Max Bill etc) were all lecturer there rather than students. If Bauhaus had progressive teaching then surely students who came out are brilliant artists/designers but to me it seems like the teachers were more progressive than students. Am I getting this wrong?

In any case that certainly seems like quite a fun school to be at. It's got a good mix of functional/rational thinking approach and craft-oriented works.

Followings are the memorable artists/works from the exhibition that I made a note of (and managed to find images online):

Actor's Mask (1924) by Paul Klee 
One of the most compelling pieces at the exhibition. Now that I look back to it, it reminds me of Yoshitomo Nara's work. Perhaps that might be why I liked it.


De Stijl 1 (1922) by Peter Keler
Apparently the influences of De Stijl and Constructivism (1923) were the turning point for the direction of Bauhaus. I prefer Bauhaus after those influences.


Tomb in Three Parts (1923) by Paul Klee
Although he seems to be very famous, Paul Klee is an artist I only found out about from this exhibition. Peter Doig meets constructivism. Me likes.


Projekt für den Umbau des Kaufhauses Borchardt in Dessau (1931) by Eduard Ludwig
It doesn't look like it's a design from 80 years ago. This can very much be any new office that we are still building around the world.


Graphic design such as brochures or typography caught my eyes throughout the exhibition, but I don't think I had any particular favorite. They all looked 'nice' but nothing too striking I guess.

The exhibition finishes on Sunday, so be quick if you still like to see it.


バービカンでのバウハウス展。バウハウスってもっと機能的・合理的なのものかと思っていたけれど、展示作品は、造形的な作品が多かった。