Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dress Black (And Pockets)

“Black is modest and arrogant at the same time. Black is lazy and easy – but mysterious. But above all black says this: I don’t bother you – don’t bother me.”
 – Yohji Yamamoto


I discovered that when I'm traveling, if I simply only bring black clothes, coordinating clothes becomes a piece of cake even with a very limited wardrobe. Since then, I just bring black clothes along whenever I'm traveling. That really made my life easier.

Apparently there is a guy working in Norman Foster's office who loves red and wears red from top to toe everyday. Since architects tend to wear black most of the time, he attracts everyone's attention in any group photos. This is a story I heard from an utterly fashionable Scottish architect, so it better be true.


旅行に行く際、持っていく服を全部黒にすれば、コーディネートに困らなくて済むということを発見して以来、基本的に旅行の際はすべて黒。

ノーマン・フォスターという建築家の事務所に、赤が大好きで、いつも全身赤を着ている人が働いているらしい。建築家は黒を着る人が多いから、事務所で集合写真を撮ると、ひとり目立ちまくるらしい。



“When did women begin to put their hands in their pockets? Did it start with Marlene Dietrich? We can be sure, at least, that it started after women began wearing men's clothes, and also that in the current age that masculine pose is fully accepted, considered just another fashion. Nevertheless, I find I still like to attach pockets.”
– Yohji Yamamoto My Dear Bomb


My mother always told me not to put my hands or things into coat pockets. "Otherwise the pockets get this weird shapes and won't look neat, look at your father's coats" said she. I ignore what my mother has taught me and usually put things into my pockets to free my hands. The convenience of walking bag-free wins always.


母は、コートのポケットに物や手を入れると、コートのポケットの形が変になるからやめたほうがいいよ、とよく注意していた。でも私は、バック持たずに、手ぶらで歩くのが好きだから、ポケットにはいろいろ入れちゃう。