Sunday, February 19, 2012

Explaining Relativity

For Paulus' Timetable brief, I chose to do it on Theory of Relativity. Here is a little extract from the brief description Paulus has written:

What is time? Does time exist? Is time is a human construct?

Research existing general and specific systems of time keeping and notation. Understand the relations of various units and incremements. This will give you a better understanding of the subject matter and allow you to make a more informed choice of your field.  
Try to go into depth rather than skimming your theme superficially.

Since I was already working on the subject of time for my self-directed project, I stuck with it to go deeper. For self-directed, I was treating time from my own perspective and was interested in gaining a scientific perspective.
Theory of Relativity is an interesting one to tackle as it talks about how time is relative. i.e. time can go faster or slower depending on your frame of reference. It's completely counter-intuitive to our perception of time. Maybe neutrinos go faster than speed of light and Theory of Relativity is all false but I think it's still interesting to try and understand underlining idea behind Theory of Relativity.

My aim for this project is
  1. Try to understand Theory of Relativity (Time Dilation) myself.
  2. Explain the concept to others who are not familiar with the concept.
i.e. the main audience is not students or people who need to be solving the equations or apply it in any way. But highlight the concept and get people interested.

A conventional way of describing scientific concept it through diagrams. Here's some I found on Internet:
Yes they are from internet and are not at all sophisticated illustrations, but some are quite clear in terms of visualizing the concept.
Also, when explaining the concept of relativity, it may be clearer when explained by videos, even with animated GIFs:



I have also purchased the book Wonders of the Universe by Studio8 Design. For their beautiful beautiful scientific infographics by Nathalie Lees. A great reference: