Monday, January 16, 2012

Self Initiated: Time, Speed


For my self-initiated project, I'm planning on examining time and speed in relation to the design practice. My method of investigation is time and the subject is also time.

My idea is eventually to present the concept of time and speed in a form of static book. The medium of book is a little unusual to associate with time and speed, in contrast to medium such film and web, and so I would like to explore such possibility.


Some primary questions are the place I started thinking about this:
  • CSM (or the realm of academic institution) does slow design, where as the professional design industry goes so fast. Are we being perhaps too relaxed and lacking the pressure that we probably need?
  • Being fast is not necessary bad, imperfection can be rather charming and perfection can become boring too. Nevertheless, things produced without deep thinking (automation of machines or from copying like 'photoshop architecture' of China) tend to be shallow and boring too. Where do we draw the line then?
  • When does deadline make you more focused and creative, and when does it oppress people?

I talked to my genius friend who's studying Physics, and apparently apart from The Second Law of Thermodynamics, all areas of Physics suggest that there is no difference between past and future, and time can be reversible. The second law of thermodynamics (the principle of the increase of entropy) is the only one that distinguishes past from future.
He also told me that glass is actually an extremely slow-moving liquid. I got fascinated and googled a bit and it seems like physicists still debate upon whether the glass is actually solid or liquid. It is rather that the line between solid and liquid is not distinct.
Yeah, I thought I should share random facts (isn't science so fascinating?).


卒業制作の一環として、次の2週間弱は「時間」と「スピード」について考え、調べる予定。このプロジェクト始めてから思い出したのだけれど、高校のアートの授業では2年間の最初に個人テーマを定めるのに、私が選んだのは「時間」だった(最終的にテーマは変わったのだけれど、何になったのかは忘れた)。たぶん私、時間好き。関係ないけど、昔から都市も好き。

とりあえず、東大で物理をやっている親友いわく、物理学的に、未来向きの方向と過去向きの方向って同じで、未来と過去って違いがないらしい。物理学の中で、熱力学的だけが未来と過去の違いをエントロピーで説明しているって。エントロピーを題材に、巻き戻しの映画とかいくらでも撮れそうと思ってYouTubeで検索したら、いろいろ出てきた。ただの巻き戻し再生の動画を「逆・エントロピー」って呼んでいるだけなんだけど、巻き戻し再生って何故かすごく面白い。


(The photo was taken on the last morning of 2011)