Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Season of Degree Shows

So many shows. So little time.
I did go to Slade, Free Range and University for the Creative Arts, but other than that I've been pretty much sticking to CSM shows.
Here are some goodies I brought back from CSM shows:

The signage around the buildings is seriously ugly. The idea of using a part of the building as an image is nice, but the execution is plain ugly. Probably it's the orange and the shape of the arrow...

Here's rough guide of each show:

BA Graphic Design
I preferred last year's show, and felt both individual work and overall curation of the show were stronger last year. Particularly the overall organization was weaker this year. The concept of collecting individual A5 pages of favorite designers and making their own catalogue wasn't bad but business card already do that job and I would really loved to see a catalogue.
In any case so far my favorite BAGD show is from two years ago, but next year will beat them all.

BA Jewellery Design
Small space but surprisingly professional and well-thought out display. I got a lovely personal tour by Ayako, but even without it, it was one of my favorite shows from this year.

MA Industrial Design
The space really looked like a professional retail or show room.

MA Textile Futures
There are many textile courses in CSM but this one is by far the craziest.

BA Textile Design
I love their catalogue. It's designed and printed properly, with absolutely lovely images. The best catalogue I've seen so far.
Going to textile show every year make me swear this is the thing that I want to study next.

BA Architecture, Space and Objects
Lovely wooden typography!

BA Product Design
Another very professional looking show. Loud music was nice too. Their especially built desks were cute:

BA Fashion Design
Magazines from Fashion communication were so nice, I would buy few if I could. Why are they not on sale? The ideas weren't so original (a lot were influenced heavily by Lula magazine) but they had gorgeous photos and presented with professional confidence while keeping things personal.
Women's Wear wasn't my favorite but Design with Marketing was. I loved the retail-like use of hangers in Men's Wear. Loved going over sketchbooks and boards of Print and Knit Wear. Overall, the show proved strong fashion department of CSM. Amusing as it always has been.

BA Fine Art
I never really find Fine Art from CSM exciting. Then again, Slade wasn't that great either and I probably never really find Fine Art student shows exciting.

BA Ceramic Design had few designers I liked.
The supermarket people work was memorable from Postgrad Photography.
Design Against Crime turned out to be actually quite entertaining.
All I can remember from MA Design is students dressed nice standing next to their work.


Shows end this week. Check times and places here and catch them while you can.


今年は自分の大学(セントマ)の卒展くらいはきちんと見ておこうと決めて、熱心に見ています。良かったのは、ジュエリー科と、ファッション科と、テキスタイル科。今年のグラフィック科はいまひとつ・・・。回っていると、それぞれの科の特色が見えて面白い。
それにしても、自分がいいなと思う作品は日本人であることが多い。日本人デザイナーのレベルが高いのか、それとも同じ民族同士、似た感性があるからなのか。どちらもあると思うけど、なんにせよ日本のデザインの将来は明るい気がする。